Healthy homemade hummus
Say no to store bought preservative filled hummus - make it at home instead!
Impress your friends at your next get-together with this delicious homemade hummus. Serve it with toasted breads and chopped crunchy vegetables like celery sticks, capsicum and carrots
Ingredients (makes 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup oil (I prefer a mild-flavoured oil such as grape seed, but this is traditionally made with olive oil)
- Parsley, chopped, to serve
- Rinse chickpeas and soak overnight in fresh water with a sprinkle of baking soda. Drain and rinse chickpeas thoroughly. Cook in boiling water for 1-2 hours or until tender (squeeze one with your fingers). Drain and reserve a little cooking liquid.
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Chill until ready to serve. To serve, toss through a handful of chopped fresh parsley and drizzle with olive oil.
Recipe by the Green Cooks, Rosie Percival and Ruth Friedlander. Photograph by Jessica Symonds.