5 tips for mental wellness
Top tips to help you think clearly.
Are you struggling to get to sleep, feeling stressed and turning to unhealthy activities to take your mind off things? Read on to discover top five tips for mental wellness.
The World Health Organization has defined mental health as “a state of wellbeing in which every individual realises his or her own potential, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to her or his community”.
So to be truly well in our mind is not merely the absense of a mental health condition.
Action and business coach and triathlete Suzzanne Laidlaw shares five tips you can implement in your life for clarity.
1. Have clarity about goals and values – Be clear on what you want to achieve in life and break it down into goals that will help you get there. Each goal should have a crystal-clear ‘why’ behind it and each day as you strive towards them, you’ll be filled with purpose and positive energy.
2. Nourish and move your body – A healthy body makes a healthy mind. Not only will you feel better as you improve your fitness and eat well, you’ll sleep better, rely less on unhealthy crutches and the flow-on positive effects will keep coming.
3. Find your tribe – The feeling of belonging is hugely important to mental health. Whether it’s a sporting club, neighbourhood friends or close family, being a part of a group of people who you see regularly, you rely on, share experiences and even hold you accountable will strengthen your highs and soften any lows. Make time for them.
4. Meditate – Create a circuit breaker for the mental chatter. Meditation really helps achieve clarity of mind and that grounded focus on what you’re doing.
5. Practise an attitude of gratitude – Being grateful every day for what you have is a huge factor in having a healthy mind. Every night, think of all the things you’re grateful for and wake up with the same thoughts – you can’t help but approach life with a positive attitude.
NEXT: To ensure your phyiscal health is in check, here are five tips for physical health.